The time has come and Butler County is implementing the updates applied to the Individuals with Disabilities Education Improvement Act (IDEA) of 2004. Ohio updated the special education rules, effective July 1, 2008. The purpose of the update to requirements is to improve and ensure that children with disabilities have equal opportunity, full participation in education, independent living and economic self-sufficiency.
In her introduction letter to the Operating Standards for Ohio Educational Agencies (OSOEA) serving Children with Disabilities hand book, Susan Tave Zelman, Superintendent of Public Instruction lists the new emphasis on the following standards:
• High expectations and support;
• Intervening services provided as early as possible;
• Evaluation of research-based interventions;
• Highly qualified teachers;
• Flexibility in requirements in reevaluating student progress and needs;
• Instruction in general curriculum, presented in settings with non-disabled peers as much as possible;
• Goals and services for transition into life after high school; and
• Equal participation in education and school activities for those in nonpublic school.
Access to OSOEA handbook is available here via PDF.
More changes are being taken into consideration and there is a public review and comment period for this draft document that is open until 5:00 p.m. on Nov. 21, 2008. To review and submit feedback on the manual or for more information go to the OSOEA
Early screening is very important and If you suspect your child has a disability, contact the special education director in your school district. Here is a contact list for local schools in the Butler County Area
• Edgewood City School District: 867-7572
• Fairfield City School District: 829-4311
• Hamilton City School District: 887-5000
• Lakota Local School District: 644-1212
• Madison Local School District: 420-4778
• Middletown City School District: 423-0781
• Monroe Local School District: 539-2536
• New Miami Local School District: 863-0833
• Ross Local School District: 863-6150
• Talawanda City School District: 273-3572