Haunted by An Angel

Window Through the Door
It was a moment that I will never forget. I spotted her in the back of Saint Stephen's Cemetery in Hamilton,Ohio. A cement angel, standing on a pillar clutching a cross, and her head bowed as if reflecting on the passed life who lay beneath her. The air was crisp and cold and gusts of a breeze seemed to be telling secrets to the trees. I was rolling over shriveled leaves so dry they popped and crackled under the wheels of my wheelchair. I hate the cold with a passion and my body wanted hot chocolate and warm blankets, But like a siren she beckoned me to her. My fingers were so frozen my Nikon D70 felt more like a brick. The scene before me just wouldn't let me escape one more shot. She insisted. So I continued my way several yards to get into range of my 200mm lens. The seasons first flakes floated down around her and a breeze carrying a mixture of leaves and the newly fallen feathers of snow swirled around this beautiful angel. I was consumed with emotions of the moment, choking down tears, or a squeal or... I brought the camera up to my eye and steadied myself for the shot and squeezed the shutter button only to be met with heartbreak, because I knew the recipe for this shot would not come along again anytime soon. Five years later, I am reminded of this moment. The time I forgot to pack an extra battery. This is "Window Through the Door," shot at the same place on a different much warmer day.

As for you Angel! I will be back.... some day!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Neglected but NOT Abandoned

VR Lens for the Wheelchair Photographer

Trails and Trials of a Wheelchair Photographer