I'm Getting off the System

Fear is a Liar



I've had it! I spent 3 years waiting for a wheelchair after mine broke down. I have decided I am not going to live this way anymore. I am going to get off the system and become self sustainable. I realize I am 50 and I should probably just collect my checks and enjoy my medicare/medicaid that pays for just about all my medical expenses. But there are so many conditions and rules and I am not receiving the right things to give me the most optimal ability for my body. I just received the wheelchair that THEY wanted me to have and if I want the chair that best works for my body, I am going to have to get it myself! Ok. Challenge accepted!

Since turning 50, I have been thinking hard about what I want to do for the rest of my life. I have chased entrepreneurship my whole adult life and have failed many times and got back up and went at it again. It is the only life for me though. I am way too driven and full of inspiration to just sit idle and eat vegan mac and cheese and watch netflix all day. For the first time in my whole adult life, I am not responsible for anyone but myself. Being 50 and physically challenged I probably have 25 to 30 years left. But, since I am an optimist and the women in my family tend to live into their 90's I am counting on 40 years. So, do I want to continue to live on a system where so much of my life is dictated by rules and regulations? Or, do I take one last leap into going after the life I want? It sounds like a no brainer, but I want to break some stuff down for you so you can really appreciate the conundrum.

I live in section 8 housing. I found this amazing 1 bedroom apartment downtown Middletown, Ohio that rests between Cincinnati and Dayton. This is the town where I grew up. (More on that in another post.) I am  close to a bus stop, and in walking distance to restaurants, and shops. My place needs some work but it is home and it has potential. I am a minimalist so, it is fairly easy to keep clean (I will touch on that topic in another post.) and my utilities are included. Which doesn't always happen. The down side to that is I have no control over the central air.  Due to my small income I have EBT and also have medicaid and medicare. Here is how this works. If you gain money from somewhere, then you lose it in another place. For example, if your Social Security Disability goes up $20 then you lose $20 in food stamps or they raise your rent or both. Every raise is a redistribution of money. So recipients are stuck. You can lose benefits if you get married, get a job or have a garage sale. Everything has to be reported or you get penalized and they will take it out of your checks or sanction you. It is a false sense of security and a very fragile financial existence.

So back to the wheelchair. The one I received is usable but getting off and on to it poses a risk and it does not allow me to do all the things I am able to do on my scooter. The biggest challenge and what makes it risky is the foot rest. My choices are stand up on it and step on and off. Or scrape the back of my legs while I raise and lower it with a cane. The large front wheels don't allow me to place my feet off the sides of the rest so those are my only options. When I tried to explain this to the salesperson and the physical therapist their solution was to get an aide and physical therapist while I adjust. (sigh) What beats all is the Scooter is 1 to 2K cheaper than this wheelchair. I will give praise to the adjustable captains chair and the 360 radius drive though. It is perfect for running around town, chilling with Netflix or sitting long hours at the PC. But getting on and off and doing everyday housework like dishes and cooking and sweeping the scooter is my only way. Also this wheelchair will not go in someone's car trunk like a light weight scooter that comes apart. Which is going to make dating harder. What? I'm still cute! :)

I have tried for years to get people to explain why this is a problem but they all want to blame the scooter store fiasco. Remember that? The Scooter Store was giving scooters away left and right and guaranteeing that Medicare would pay for it. Needless to say, The Scooter Store filed bankruptcy and scooters have been a no go for me ever since.

This is more than about a scooter. This is about having one life to live and being tired of the struggle. This is about going after the life I want and living an intentional life. I realize I am trading one system for another and the government will always have their rules and regulations (Which by the way could really use an overhaul.) But I want to be all that I can be. I'm not afraid of hard work. I have the drive! (six wheels in fact ;) ) It is all about stepping out in faith and doing the damn thing.

I hope you will join me on my journey!






















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

VR Lens for the Wheelchair Photographer

Neglected but NOT Abandoned

Trails and Trials of a Wheelchair Photographer